We get nonprofits.
Our nonprofit clients face a balancing act. We get that. They seek exceptional leadership with a passion and desire to make a difference in the world for their unique mission. But candidates also must possess professional expertise, credibility in their community, and the business acumen for success.
We also understand organization budgets and how to deliver the high-quality and committed talent your mission requires. We can work with your board as a valuable liaison throughout a search. We understand the hard work and time that board members put in, and we have wide-ranging experience in navigating them, together with management, through hiring decisions.
We often say bringing in the right talent for our nonprofits means finding the right expertise at the right time and the right place. We have a demonstrated track record of successfully making these matches.
Nonprofit positions we’ve placed:
- Chief Development Officer
- Chief People Officer
- VP, Human Resources
- Executive Director
- Executive Director, Foundation
- Director, Finance
- Director, HR
- Grants Manager
- Program Director
- Director, Development
We also provide board member searches as part of our services.
First and foremost, we take time to understand your mission.
We take the time to learn about your mission. We want to know your story. Why does your organization exist, and who does your organization serve? What are the essential business objectives for your organization at this time? And how can finding you the best talent for your open position strengthen and increase the chances of your organization’s continued success?
As we research and interview candidates for you, we will be looking for passion and enthusiasm for your particular mission. A genuine passion and connection to your mission, combined with the right skills and expertise not only equals success for the organization, but also promotes longer tenure for candidates who know they are in the right place.
You are getting more than a recruiter.
We have the human resources knowledge and experience to help you from the very start. Some of our nonprofit clients need a little more HR expertise for their searches because they may not have a full HR department at their fingertips. Here are a few things we do to make the process as seamless as possible.
- Uniquely crafted job descriptions. Every organization is unique, and that means job descriptions need to be designed for the needs of each individual organization. We can write the job description for you. A well- run search starts with a great job description. We spend time with you or your hiring managers to ensure we obtain all the required skills, knowledge and abilities, essential functions, responsibilities, competencies, supervisory expertise, certifications, education, etc., to source a successful slate of candidates.
- Standard interview questions. We prepare standard interview questions/guides for you and your team. Naturally, we know your executive team will have many of their own questions, but we like to make sure we are helping you with both standard and job-targeted questions to provide a professional and consistent process for each candidate.
- Interview scorecards. In each of our candidate profiles, we present to you the skills/qualifications, and motivations for interest in your job search of each candidate. We also provide a candidate rating tool to assist when comparing multiple candidates’ skills, experience, communications, attributes, and overall qualifications.
Our Golden Rule.
You will never see a candidate from us who doesn’t meet all three of these criteria:
- 90%+ of the skills you outline
- Willing to accept the salary you specify
- Motivated by more than just money
“The SHRS focus is not only about achieving the right results but also building a strong partnership. It takes the right team to understand the assignment and exceed the desired outcome. SHRS is the right team.” – Doug McNeil, CEO, Laradon
“SHRS has demonstrated a commitment to sourcing quality candidates for our organization. Their in-depth research on a very tough-to-fill position made our job much easier. With a final list of highly qualified candidates, we soon found our A-player.” – Erica Kitzman, Vice President, People Strategies, Nonprofit Management Services of Colorado